Sunday 2 May 2010

"False Arctic Tern" Stewartby Lake











I thought I would upload this set of photos of one of the Common Terns that has been at Stewartby Lake over the last couple of weeks. The bird has very "fresh" and silvery looking wings and does a very reasonable Arctic Tern impression, especially when it is relatively distant. (i.e. most of the time...) All of these photos were taken during a single fly past by the bird and although they are not great I think some of them give an idea of how "Arctic-like" the bird can appear. It certainly made me look at it pretty hard once or twice most days... Eventually the structure and jizz of the bird does give itself away as a Common Tern but, at least as far as I am concerned, it is not an easy bird to call at long range and/or in contrasty light conditions. Photos by Martin Green.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails